Get involved in Being Human
Led by the School of Advanced Study, University of London, in partnership with the Arts and Humanities Research Council (AHRC) and the British Academy, Being Human is the UK’s only national festival of the humanities. This year’s festival is set to take place 15-24 November 2018.
In November each year the festival brings together universities, museums, galleries, archives, independent research organisations, community and commercial partners to make research in the humanities accessible to non-specialist audiences and demonstrate its relevance to our everyday lives.
In 2018, the festival’s theme is ‘Origins and Endings’.
Applications for funding have now closed for 2018. However you can still get involved through our ‘Open Call’ pathway.
Organise an activity that does not require a direct financial contribution from Being Human that will be supported and promoted as part of our programme.
Our 2018 festival theme is ‘Origins and Endings’. For inspiration on the theme and further information on the application process, you can download a PDF here.
If you are planning to propose a Being Human festival activity in 2018 you might find it useful to refer to our case studies, which offer examples of best practice, as well as tips and hints from organisers from previous festivals.
Eligibility criteria vary across the pathways above. However, all activities featured in the festival programme must:
• demonstrate aspects of humanities research in ways that are entertaining and accessible for non-specialist audiences
• have direct involvement from a humanities researcher in delivering the event
• be free to attend if funded by Being Human, and no more than £5 to attend if self-funded
• be held during the festival dates.
A PDF version of our festival Terms and Conditions is available here: Terms and Conditions 2018
There is a separate application form for each of our three pathways. Applications should be made on the correct form and returned via email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The timetable is as follows:
• Friday 13 April (5pm): Deadline for applications for funding
• Thursday 31 May: Notification of outcome of applications
• Monday 4 June (5pm): Deadline for unfunded event applications
• July: Deadline for submission of final event details for print
• August: Deadline for final event details for website
Contact email@example.com with any questions about the application process.